Exporting Countries Forum
Egypt was one of the first countries to call for
the establishment of a mechanism for producing and exporting natural gas during
the ministerial meeting of the OAPEC, held in Cairo at the end of 2000, and
immediately after the establishment of the
Forum of Gas Exporting Countries.
It was agreed that the objectives of the forum would be to promote
the concept of mutual interest exchange by favoring dialogue between producers,
producers and consumers, and between governments and energy-related industries,
with the aim of providing a platform for research and exchange of views, and
promoting a stable and transparent energy market.
forum aims to support and promote mutual interests, raise the level of
coordination and enhance cooperation among member states, as well as encourage
and support dialogue between gas producing and consuming countries in order to
achieve the required balance in the gas markets to reach appropriate prices
that achieve the balance of both parties, and work to achieve the maximum economic
benefit from gas resources. This is in addition to supporting and promoting
joint policies with a view to providing the necessary investments
for this industry, exchanging information and experiences among the member
countries in order to achieve integration between gas markets and their
stability and encourage the acquisition and exchange of advanced technologies.
The importance of Egypt's participation in these global conferences comes in
light of its increasing role at the global level for the gas industry and the
continuation of its efforts and to support cooperation and coordination with
gas producing and exporting countries.
Since its establishment until the seventh
ministerial meeting held in Russia on December 23, 2008 (attended by Egypt),
the forum has been held annually but without an institutional structure and
formal character, and then agreed on a final version of the statute of the
forum and the selection of Qatar as the headquarters of the Forum secretariat. Egypt assumed the presidency of the Ministerial
Council of the Forum for 2011.
Members of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum:
The Forum currently consists of 19 countries as follows: Algeria,
Bolivia, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Iran, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Russia,
Trinidad and Tobago, United Arab Emirates, and Venezuela. Azerbaijan,
Kazakhstan, Iraq, the Netherlands, Norway, Oman and Peru will attend as
Meetings of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum:
- First Ministerial Meeting, Tehran, Iran, May 2001
- Second Ministerial Meeting, Algeria, February 2002
- Third Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, 4 February 2003
- Fourth Ministerial Meeting, Cairo, Egypt, 14 March 2004
- Fifth Ministerial Meeting, Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, 26 April 2005
- Sixth Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, 9 April 2007
- Seventh Ministerial Meeting, Moscow, Russia, 23 December 2008
- Eighth Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, 30 June 2009
- Ninth Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, December 2009
- Tenth Ministerial Meeting, Oran, Algeria, 19 April 2010
- Eleventh Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, December 2010
- Twelfth Ministerial Meeting, Cairo, Egypt, 2 June 2011
- Thirteenth Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, 13 November 2011
- Fourteenth Ministerial Meeting, Malayo, Equatorial Guinea, 21 November 2012
- Fifteenth Ministerial Meeting, Tehran, Iran, 3 November 2013
- Sixteenth Ministerial Meeting, Doha, Qatar, 16 December 2014
- Seventeenth Ministerial Meeting, Tehran, Iran, 21 November 2015
- Eighteenth Ministerial Meeting in Doha, Qatar, 17 November 2016
- Nineteenth Ministerial Meeting in Moscow, Russia, 4 October 2017
- Twentieth Ministerial Meeting in Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, 14 November 2018.
- Twenty-First Ministerial Meeting of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum 2 October 2019 Moscow, Russian Federation.
- Extraordinary Ministerial Meeting ahead of 5th GECF Gas Summit 28 November 2019 Malabo
Summit meetings of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum:
- First Summit of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum, Doha, Qatar, 15 November 2011.
- Second Summit of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum, Moscow, Russian Federation, 1 July 2013.
- Third Summit of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum, Tehran, Iran, November 23, 2015.
- Fourth Summit of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum, Santa Cruz, Bolivia, November 24, 2017.
- Fifth Summit of the Gas Exporting Countries Forum, Malabo, Equatorial Guinea, 26 November 2019.